Wednesday, December 16, 2015

The Good Person of Szechwan - Bertolt Brecht

The Good Person Of Szechwan: Vol 6 (Modern Classics)The Good Person Of Szechwan: Vol 6 by Bertolt Brecht
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I had been looking for something fresh to read and came upon my little sister's collection that was part of her course material in Delhi University. Most of the books were too "theoretical" to interest me. I am barely interested in the poets of yore, but there were some dramas in there that I picked out. "Good Person of Szechwan" seemed interesting enough to start with. So I borrowed the book and started it a few days later.

My consumption of the book was quite slow; but it was wholly due to my own lack to time. I would pick up the book irregularly during the final hour before sleep overcame me. Even in the state of drowsiness the book was able to keep me hooked. The story was slow paced and interjected with dreamy songs. I imagined the drama being played out on a stage of my imagination. The characters, colours and lights acted as a lullaby and I closed the book after the scene was over. It was thus that I read the book, one scene at a time; relishing and digesting the scene before I went to the next. But none of my imagination would equal Brecht's in recreating how the story would be played out on a stage. Brecht has kept the plot quite simple and focused on the moral quandary that he wished to show. Consequently, there are very few profound moments in the play. It is adorned with a touch of reality that most can relate to easily. Brecht argues that goodness cannot exist by itself in this world. For good to exist, it must be aided by evil and ruthlessness.

The story begins with the gods entering Szechwan. They are on their quest to find enough good people on the earth. They are turned down by many before finding a host in Shen Teh. She is a poor prostitute but good at heart. The gods are impressed by her hospitality and make her a gift of a small fortune. This she uses to set up a small business but her goodness is coming in way of her managing to keep the business profitable. People leech on her and swindle her while she keeps giving with both hands. Her cousin, Shui Ta, steps in from time to time to take control of her failing business. The story narrates how Shen Teh's goodness needs Shui Ta's ruthless business acumen to survive.

I liked Brecht quite a lot for the kind of scenes he created. They seemed akin to the Greek dramas of Euripedes and his contemporaries in their construct; the scenes and the musical interludes. But the story was significantly different and (perhaps) original. The way Brecht leaves the issue open without passing a 'final judgement' on the moral question that the play poses is again a very realistic end to the issue. Overall I liked how the play was built and would definitely like to read more of Brecht's works if I ever get a chance to.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment