Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Masque of Africa - V.S. Naipaul

The Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African BeliefThe Masque of Africa: Glimpses of African Belief by V.S. Naipaul
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It was in Manali, on my way back from an exhausting road trip. I had taken a break for a couple of days and, quite strangely, found myself without a book. So I went to the friendly neighbourhood bookstore near my hotel and started browsing the shelves. I had thought of picking up a book on Mahayana Buddhism but I failed to find any that offered an interesting back page teaser. The next best thing was a Murakami book which picked up with the intention to buy. But I had not yet scanned all the shelves. Driven by compulsion, I went through the ones that remain and found a beautiful hard bound book with the name of Naipaul on it. It said : "The Masque of Africa - Glimpses of African Belief". Going by the storekeeper's recommendation, I ended up ditching Murakami for Naipaul.

I had never read Naipaul before, but I had heard his name in passing quite a few times. The bookshop's owner, Piyush, had recommended the book strongly. In his opinion, Naipaul had a power of observation that gave him his edge over the other writers. This sense of observation gave his writing a very personal touch and made it opinionated. Piyush was appalled at how people had started criticizing Naipaul for his opinions. According to him Naipaul was entitled to them like anyone else, the reader had a choice to agree or disagree. This discussion had got me curious about Naipaul and his writing. I immediately went to a cafe and read a few pages. What Piyush had said became quite evident. Naipaul gives a very personal touch to his writing. It is his perspective and some research added on to it, but it is more of the former than the latter.

In "The Masque of Africa" Naipaul has tried to explore the beliefs and religious systems of Africa. He travels in six countries across the continent : Uganda, Ghana, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Gabon and South Africa, and tries to dig into the local culture and traditions of these countries. All the African countries had faced colonization and as a result had had Christianity and Islam forced upon them. But the cultural undercurrents were still strong. There is magic and spirituality, mixed with the vastness of forest and its bounties, ancestors and witchdoctors. Some condemn the old African beliefs and some crawl back to it despite generations of disconnect. The book provides (true to it's title) mere glimpses of what was the traditional African system of beliefs, with each tribe still holding on to the ghosts of its roots.

What I liked most about this book was Naipaul's writing. It was easy to see why Piyush was so fascinated by him. However, as I had read in another review about this book, Naipaul's research left a lot to be desired. He travelled as a VIP and received such treatment. His hotels were lavish and his company political and powerful. Though it is easily understandable given his age, it is difficult to see how he could have gotten close to the real deal in such a simulated environment. Perhaps the project would have been done more justice in the hands of a younger and more daring researcher. But Naipaul wins me over with his writing. His "A House for Mr. Biswas" goes on my list.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment