Monday, June 15, 2015

Batman : The Long Halloween - Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale

It had been a while since I had read a graphic novel. I was more or less craving for a light and easy read; something that would not be too much of a burden to finish along with my recent hectic professional schedule. I was looking at Moore's 'Promethea' series but then I have something against series or probably it was cost that worked in favour of Loeb's 'The Long Halloween'. This one had been on my list of Batman essentials since I had read Nolan's review of it. So, swearing to myself that it will be the last of my Batman graphic novels (at least for now), I ordered the book.

There is a conversation with Nolan and Goyer right in the introductory pages of the book. They talk about how 'The Long Halloween' had been a major influence in the scripting of 'The Dark Knight Trilogy'. One thing that they mention in particular is how in this book Loeb brings to life the several characters around Batman who inhabit and shape Gotham but are remarkably characterless in most other works. In 'The Long Halloween' Batman is more human, more attached and more helpless in the face of the numerous adversaries he has to face. He needs his friends in the department, he needs an ally in the Catwoman. He seeks help from the lunatics in the Arkham Asylum. He is a lost man in an abyssal world trying to hold on the the bleak light of hope in any form, man or phantasm.

'The Long Halloween' is the story of Batman, Gordon and Dent trying to bring down Carmine "The Roman" Falcone and his empire of crime. They decide that they will do so without breaking the laws that separate him from them. But starting that Halloween night, a serial killer starts murdering the ballasts of Falcone's system. He ruins Falcone's business, kills his son, kills his muscle. All on public holidays, hence gaining the name "Holiday" killer. Roman and Batman both look to Arkham to gain clues to this killer's identity. But the Halloween drags on, long and cold, for almost a year.

I liked the book. So much so that I finished it the same night that I started it. The way Loeb had brought out the human in Batman and Sale's dark artwork are astounding to say the least. All the auxiliary characters are made more complete and real, specially Selina Kyle, the Catwoman. It is to this touch of realism (I know it is a superhero story) that I credit this novel's wonderful enchantment. But for now, I have had my fill of Batman and Gotham.


No comments:

Post a Comment