Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - Douglas Adams

I had heard about this book from too many people to recount here. This book had been on my list for a long long time before I finally got around to ordering it. I knew close to nothing about the book. So when I searched online and found a "complete and unabridged" edition, I thought it would be the complete and unabridged edition. Even though it was, turned out that H2G2 is a 'trilogy' in six parts (as of this date). But then this book would let me know whether I wanted to continue with the others in the series.

It took me two or three odd sittings to wrap up the book. Not something that happens frequently now a days, given the kind of schedule I have. It was partly because the book had grabbed my interest and partly because it was the most senseless thing I had ever read! The book is indeed meant for children. The immature humour was entertaining for a change but I am sure I would not have managed to endure it in long doses. The book is scrawling with sentences that make no sense either grammatically or logically. But then that is the charm of this book. After a tiring day, what better than occupying oneself with a book that lets the brain snooze for a while?

Despite the mayhem of senselessness, there is in fact an underlying plot to the novel. Arthur Dent, the protagonist, finds himself rescued by his best friend, Ford Prefect, when Earth is vaporised to make way for a new inter galactic highway. Ford is in fact an alien from around Betelgeuse who has been stranded on Earth while researching for the new edition of an extremely handy book "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which has information about everything. After they hitch a ride to get off Earth just in time and are thrown out in space, they find themselves on a spaceship with Ford's semi-cousin and the Galactic President, Zeephod Beeblebrox who is on the run. Thus begin's Arthur's first unearhlt adventure.

Although not wholly remarkable, the book was fun to read. It is one of those senseless books that you remember for its whacky concepts and funny dialogues. I do intend to finish the series, but not immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment